When shopping for Sprinter transfer case fluid, many Sprinter owners wonder what type of transfer case fluid their specific model uses. Blauparts is here to help! In this blog article, we've put together a Sprinter transfer case fluid specification application list. This will help you determine the correct Sprinter transfer case fluid type spec, fluid part numbers, and fill capacities needed when changing your Sprinter transfer case fluid.
DISCLAIMER: The Mercedes Sprinter transfer case fluid information on this page should not be used as a substitute for what your vehicle owner's manual, factory service manual, or authorized Mercedes dealer recommends. Consult your owner's manual for the correct type of Sprinter transfer case fluid that is to be used for your specific Sprinter model. The Sprinter specifications referenced in the article are used internationally. However, the Mercedes and Freightliner Sprinter engine and year applications referenced here apply only to Sprinter models available in the USA.
Sprinter Transfer Case Fluid Specification Guide
How to Find Your Sprinter Transfer Case Fluid Type
In the United States, the Freightliner or Mercedes Sprinter van started being options in 4WD in 2015. Since the 4WD Sprinter vans availability from 2015 until the present, it has been optioned with 1 transfer case fluid type. The Sprinter transfer case uses a specific transfer case fluid formulation, specification, part number, or type. This is to provide the best lubricating properties and performance for your Sprinter transfer case. By using the correct transfer case fluid specification in your Sprinter van you can minimize reliability issues caused by using wrong or universal type transfer case fluids. Below you will find some important tech tips and some informative information to consider when choosing the correct transfer case fluid type for changing your Sprinter transfer case fluid. We also highlight our premium transfer case fluids that we offer and our convenient pre-assembled transfer case and differential fluid change kits for Sprinter owners who want to change the transfer case and front and rear differential gear oils.
MB 236.12 or MB 236.14 Sprinter Transfer Case Fluid
Meets or exceeds the original recommended Sprinter transfer case fluid type MB 236.14 (A 001 989 68 03 10) or MB 236.12 (A 001 989 45 03 10). Yes, Mercedes recommends an ATF for use in the 2015 - 2021 Sprinter transfer case. Our recommended RAVENOL ATF M-9 Series is approved by Mercedes for the MB 236.14 quality specification. This is the most up-to-date specification and replaces all prior MB 236.12 applications used in earlier Sprinter transfer cases.
Mercedes Benz also identifies the 236.12 or 236.14 transmission fluid or in this case the transfer case fluid under a variety of part numbers such as A001989680315, 001989680315, A001989680313, 001989680313, A001989680310, 001989680310, 0019896803, 0019894503, A001989450310, and 001989450310. This fluid is referenced by a larger amount of different part numbers depending on the region the fluid is sold in and also supersession from the 236.12 spec to the newer 236.14 fluid specification.
RAVENOL ATF M-9 Serie Transfer Case Fluid Features:
- Formal Factory Approval for MB 236.14 spec. This is the most up-to-date specification and replaces all prior MB 236.12 applications used in Sprinter transfer cases.
- Very good lubricating ability even at low temperatures in winter
- High, stable viscosity index
- Very low pour point
- Very good oxidation stability
- Protection against corrosion and foam formation
- Well-balanced coefficient of friction
- High thermal and oxidative stability
- Excellent cooling capacity
- Excellent shear stability
- Lowest evaporation losses
- Neutral behavior against sealing materials
- Neutral behavior because of inhibition against non-ferrous metals
Sprinter Transfer Case Fluid Fitments and Applications
6 Cylinder Sprinter 4WD models
- MB 236.14 transfer case fluid type used in 2015 - 2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 4WD Van 3.0 Litre 24 Valve Turbocharged V6 OM652 Diesel Engine
- MB 236.14 transfer case fluid type used in 2015 - 2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 4WD Van 3.0 Litre 24 Valve Turbocharged V6 OM642 Diesel Engine
- MB 236.14 transfer case fluid type used in 2015 - 2021 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 4WD Van 3.0 Litre 24 Valve Turbocharged V6 OM642 Diesel Engine
- MB 236.14 transfer case fluid type used in 2015 - 2021 Freightliner Sprinter 3500 4WD Van 3.0 Litre 24 Valve Turbocharged V6 OM642 Diesel Engine
4 Cylinder Sprinter 4WD models
- MB 236.14 transfer case fluid type used in 2015 - 2017 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 Van 4WD 2.1 Litre 16 Valve Turbocharged L4 OM651 Diesel Engine
- MB 236.14 transfer case fluid type used in 2015 - 2017 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 Van 4WD 2.1 Litre 16 Valve Turbocharged L4 OM651 Diesel Engine
- MB 236.14 transfer case fluid type used in 2015 - 2017 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 Van 4WD 2.1 Litre 16 Valve Turbocharged L4 OM651 Diesel Engine
- MB 236.14 transfer case fluid type used in 2015 - 2017 Freightliner Sprinter 3500 Van 4WD 2.1 Litre 16 Valve Turbocharged L4 OM651 Diesel Engine
Sprinter Camper Vans and RV models with 4WD. The above-noted Sprinter transfer case fluid specification fitments also apply to all Sprinter RV camper vans with a 4WD system from the manufacturing year 2015 - 2021. This includes 4WD Sprinter Revel models by Winnebago, Sprinter Sanctuary by Thor, Sprinter ReKon 4x4 by Pleasure-Way, and many other specialty-built Sprinter camper van models with 4WD.
Sprinter Transfer Case Fluid Fill Capacity
- 2015 - 2021 Sprinter transfer case fluid fill capacity is 1 liter or 1.05 quarts.
Sprinter Transfer Case Fluid Change Intervals
Inspect every 20,000 miles. This includes confirming your Sprinter transfer case doesn't have any fluid leaks and also confirming that the transfer case fluid level is correct.
When should you change your Sprinter transfer case fluid? We recommend changing your Sprinter transfer case fluid at around 50,000 - 60,000 miles. However, the transfer case fluid should be changed more frequently depending on your driving style. If your Sprinter van transfer case sees aggressive driving, consistent 4WD engagement, off-roading, winter driving engagement, and consistent trailer pulling you should service your Sprinter transfer case fluid more frequently and as early as every 30,000 - 40,000 miles. Abiding by these recommended transfer case fluid change intervals can eliminate and minimize transfer case issues and costly repairs.
Also, something to consider is the Sprinter does have a smaller transfer case fluid capacity in comparison to other 4WD vehicles of similar size. This may result in accelerated transfer case fluid deterioration, contamination, and lubrication depletion. In our opinion, the best solution to this is more frequent transfer case fluid changes and confirming that you are using a high-quality transfer case fluid.
Why Should Sprinter Transfer Case Fluid Be Changed?
The Sprinter transfer case has a good amount of moving internal components. This includes bearings, sprockets, gears, gear pulleys, and chains. These internal components rely solely on the transfer case fluids lubrication film strength for protection and longevity. Through use, the center transfer case fluid experiences excessive shear loads and excessive heat cycles. In time these heat cycles and excessive loads deplete the lubricating properties and film strength of the transfer case fluid. Continued use of old transfer case fluid will result in transfer case bearing, bearings, sprockets, gears, gear pulleys, chain wear, and possible failure. Therefore, having regular transfer case fluid changes is important. Changing the center transfer case fluid as regular routine maintenance will greatly extend the life of the transfer case, minimize driveline noises, poor 4WD engagement, chatter, and vibrations due to wear, and ensure the transfer case unit receives reliable clean lubrication.
BLAU Transfer Case and Differential Fluid Change Kits for Sprinter
BLAU transfer case differential fluid change kits are the perfect choice for today’s discriminating vehicle owners who desire only the highest quality products. Our kits are great for individuals looking to improve performance, efficiency, and add to the longevity of their differentials and transfer case. All kits include the correct specification and amount of premium RAVENOL transfer case fluid and differential gear oils for your vehicle make in one convenient kit (see the product image showing what is exactly included in this kit).
Why choose RAVENOL transfer case fluids for your Sprinter?
- Formal Factory Approvals
- Engineered to improve operating characteristics.
- Longer change intervals and extended service life.
- Better driveline efficiency, and fuel-saving characteristics.
- Extreme shearing stability, and wear protection.
- 100% engineered, made, and bottled in Germany.
Disclaimer: Always consult your service manual and confirm the specific fluid and oil requirements for your application. Always follow the vehicle manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals. Blauparts and Ravenol are not affiliated with Mercedes Benz Sprinter or Freightliner Sprinter and its affiliated companies, subsidiaries, its licensors, or any other vehicle manufacturer. All trademarks and OE specification part numbers referenced in this product listing or article are displayed for identification purposes only and are in no way intended to denote any affiliation with their corresponding owners.
This article was produced and written by the BLAU Technical Team - Blauparts LLC Copyright © 2022-Onward - All Rights Reserved.