What Type of Coolant Antifreeze Does My VW Use?
Your VW coolant antifreeze expansion tank will usually have the coolant spec marked on the tank. Your owner's manual will also specify the VW coolant antifreeze spec and will usually list a part number.
Post Contents [hide]
VW Coolant Antifreeze Specifications
Blauparts stocks OEM APPROVED VW coolant antifreeze. The following RAVENOL concentrated coolants carry OEM Approvals from VAG.
G12 EVO VW Coolant
Suitable Replacement for VW G12 EVO Coolant Antifreeze Spec
- This G12 EVO coolant was introduced for use in VW model years 2019-present
- The VW G12 EVO is a nitrate-free and phosphate-free coolant antifreeze type. The VW G12++ coolant type is also a nitrate-free and phosphate-free coolant antifreeze type similar to the G12 EVO coolant.
- The VW G12++ spec coolant is a suitable replacement for all G11, G12, G12+, G12++, G13, and G12 EVO specification coolants when not available.
RAVENOL LTC Lobrid Technology Coolant is a silicate-free OAT an eco-friendly 1.2- Ethanediol (mono ethylene glycol) based coolant for cooling systems in combustion engines which provides maintenance-free corrosion and frost protection. This product is formulated based on a proven inhibitor development by combining silicates with the organic additive technology (OAT) as an extended life coolant. The quality of antifreeze is no longer just determined by the antifreeze effect (which automatically exists in an ethylene-glycol-based product), which is critical for the quality of a coolant, but also the rust protection. That is why automakers subject antifreeze to lengthy corrosion and cavitation tests. RAVENOL LTC Lobrid Technology Coolant protects the cooling system from rust, frost, and in summer, from overheating.
G13 VW Coolant
LIMITED INVENTORY - VW TL 774 J VW Coolant Antifreeze Spec
- This coolant was used in VW model years 2008-present
- Compatible with all G11, G12+, G12++ coolants.
- OEM Approved Audi VW TL 744-J G13 coolant antifreeze type.
- This coolant is also used in Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, Skoda, Seat.
G12++ VW CoolantVW TL 774 G VW Coolant Antifreeze Spec
- This coolant was used in VW model years 2008-present
- OEM Approved Audi VW TL 744-G G12++ coolant antifreeze type.
- This coolant is also used in Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler, MAN.
G12+ VW CoolantVW TL 774 F VW Coolant Antifreeze Spec
- This coolant was used in VW model years 1997 - 2008
- OEM Approved Audi VW TL 744-F G12+ coolant antifreeze type.
- Also carries OEM Approval for MAN 324 SNF spec.
- This coolant is also used in Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche, Volvo, Mitsubishi, Saab, Toyota, GM, Ford.
G11 VW Coolant
VW TL 774 C VW Coolant Antifreeze Spec
- This coolant was used in VW model years 1980-1997
- OEM Approved Audi VW TL 744-C G11 coolant antifreeze type.
- Also carries OEM Approval for Mercedes-Benz MB 325.0 spec.
- This coolant is also used in BMW, Porsche, Saab, Land Rover, Jaguar, Ford, GM, and Honda.
Can I Mix Different VW Coolants?
The newest VW G13 coolant antifreeze specification is backward compatible with all coolant specs VW used previously. So, this means it can be mixed with the earlier G11, G12, G12 plus, G12 plus plus coolant specs.
However, we do recommend topping off your coolant tank with the same type of coolant that is currently in your VW cooling system. This ensures the purity of your cooling system.
Example: If you have a Volkswagen model that still has the G12+ coolant specification in the cooling system then we recommend that you should still use the G12+ coolant specification to top off the system.
Even though it is miscible to mix these coolant specifications it is possible to experience some unknown corrosive protection losses. As mentioned above this is why we always recommend filling a low coolant level with the same type of coolant that is currently in your VW cooling system. This ensures the purity of your cooling system and optimal engine protection.
Does The Coolant Color Matter?
Many in the coolant industry have assigned colors to certain specs: G11 blue, G12+ pink, G12++ pink, G13 violet, or purple. But as you can see, G12+, G12++, and G13 have slight color spectrum differences. If you’ve purchased a used VW and look in the expansion tank, it may be difficult to know what exact spec your system contains. If in doubt, follow the mixing recommendations in the chart above or flush the system and fill using the correct or preferred coolant spec.
If the coolant in your expansion tank appears discolored green or dark brown, it’s advisable to flush it immediately. This likely means that some other type of coolant was added, and it has compromised the integrity of the cooling system.
Can I upgrade to the latest VW Coolant Specification?
Yes. Most owners who are currently using G12+ or G12++ may wish to upgrade to the latest G13 coolant the next time they thoroughly flush the cooling system (i.e. during timing belt replacement).
Can I Use Generic or Non-Approved VW Coolant?
Use ONLY OEM Approved Audi Volkswagen G11, G12+, G12++, or G13 VW coolant antifreeze. Do NOT use regular store-bought coolant, which typically doesn't correspond with the specifications of a VW cooling system. Inferior coolant has an adverse reaction within a VW cooling system. Poor quality coolant contaminates the system and eats away at the metal, rubber, and plastic components.
Copyright © Blau®, Blauparts® LLC. All rights reserved.