This article will provide the necessary steps on how to change the Porsche Cayenne transmission fluid on 2011-2018 8-speed automatic transmission applications. This transmission type is also referenced as the A48.04, A48.54, A55.04, A59.04 transmissions.
Step-by-Step Porsche Cayenne Transmission Fluid Change Instructions
Although this procedure is demonstrated on a Porsche Cayenne 8-speed automatic transmission, the fluid and filter pan steps and procedures also apply to the following Porsche Panamera models:
- 2011-2018 Porsche Cayenne Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Change (8-Spd A48.04, A48.54, A55.04, A59.04, Hybrid A06.04)
- 2012-2016 Porsche Panamera Hybrid Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Change (8-Spd Hybrid A70.00)
Note: There may be slight differences in the subframes or chassis supports.
Porsche Cayenne Transmission Fluid (ATF) Change Intervals
Changing your Porsche automatic transmission fluid is important and helps extend the life of your transmission. Porsche automatic transmission fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles - 60,000 miles. Those with an aggressive driving style, constant extreme heat, heavy city traffic, trailer pulling, or other severe driving conditions may want to replace the Porsche transmission fluid sooner.
What Type of Transmission Fluid Does the Porsche Cayenne Use?
- Porsche 958 300 540 00 / 000 043 306 24 (aka VW G 055 540 A2) required for the 8-speed Porsche Cayenne transmission
What is the transmission fluid fill capacity of the Porsche Cayenne?
See Step 20 for details. The Porsche Cayenne transmission fluid capacity is as follows:
- Service fill of 6 - 8 liters
- Initial dry fill of 12 liters
Porsche Cayenne Transmission Fluid and Filter Change Parts Needed:
- 9 Liters of German Ravenol ATF part number Porsche 958 300 540 00 / 000 043 306 24 required for the 8-speed Porsche Cayenne transmission
- 1 Porsche Cayenne Transmisson Pan Gasket and Spacers
- 1 Porsche Cayenne Transmission Filter
- 1 Porsche Cayenne Transmission Filter to V-body Sealing O-ring
- 1 Porsche Cayenne Transmision Drain and Fill Plug Sealing Washer
Transmission Fluid Change Kit Product Overview Video:
Porsche Cayenne Transmission Fluid Change Tools Needed:
- T-25 torx bit socket for under engine protective plash pan
- 10mm socket for transmission pan, transmission filter and under engine protective splash pan components.
- 10mm swivel socket or swivel extension for front side of transmission pan mounting bolts
- Waste Oil Drain Pan Container
- Nitrile safety gloves to minimize exposure to oils
- Transmission fluid pump and fill adapter J91003-1 or T2A0152 and T2A0108 (See related items)
- Infrared thermometer or OBD2 diagnostic software to monitor the transmission temperature.
Disclaimer: Blauparts recommend having a factory trained A.S.E. certified Porsche mechanic perform vehicle maintenance. Always refer to the owner's manual and factory service manual for Porsche Cayenne transmission fluid and filter changing procedures. Always wear protective gloves and wear safety glasses when handling fluids and oils.
Important Notes: Before beginning of transmission fluid and filter service, confirm the ATF temperature is below 30°C. If necessary, allow the transmission and transmission fluid to cool below 30°C. When performing transmission maintenance, cleanliness is of great importance. Always use lint free rags and cover transmission components when removed from transmission.
How To Step 1
Lift the vehicle using an approved automotive hoist or a floor jack and jacks stands so that the vehicle is in a perfectly level position. To confirm you are lifting the vehicle correctly reference your factory owner’s manual for the proper vehicle lift point locations and procedures. The vehicle needs to be in a level position to confirm the correct transmission fluid level when refilling. If the vehicle is not level this can cause the automatic transmission fluid level to be incorrect and could cause transmission damage.
Important Note: Lifting the Porsche Cayenne with a floor jack, jack stands or by an approved automotive hoist isn't necessarily required when changing the ATF and transmission filter. The Porsche Cayenne should have enough ground clearance in order to access and remove the lower protective splash pan and gain access to the transmission components. If you do desire to lift the vehicle for more working area under the vehicle, please proceed as follows. Confirm you are using an approved automotive lift or jack stands. Confirm you are lifting the vehicle correctly by referencing your factory owner’s manual for the proper vehicle lift point locations and procedures.
How To Step 2
Remove the under engine protective splash pan and place it off to the side. Keep in mind this is a 2-piece splash pan. First locating and remove all T-25 torx bit splash pan mounting screws. Next begin to remove the 10mm splash pan mounting bolts leaving one or two bolts hand threaded on the rear area of the splash pan. These last one or two mounting bolts remaining will allow you to support the pans with one hand and then hand loosen the last one or two bolts by hand minimizing the splash pan from falling on you.
It's also good to remove the rear portion of the splash pan and then the front splash pan. The front portion of the two-piece pan can be tipped down and then pulled back from the front of the vehicle for easiest removal.
How To Step 3
Locate and remove the under engine protective splash pan mounting bracket. This is held in pace by three 10mm bolts. The mounting bracket is a two-piece unit to allow for easy removal.
How To Step 4
Locate, loosen, and remove the Porsche Cayenne transmission pan drain plug allowing the ATF to drain into a suitable waste oil drain pan. This is a 5mm hex allen bit drain plug.
How To Step 5
Once the Porsche Cayenne transmission pan drain plug has been removed and the first portion of the ATF has drained, locate the plastic drain plug fluid level insert. This is recessed up inside the transmission pan drain plug port. The drain plug level insert is also a 5mm hex allen bit. As you're removing the drain plug level insert you will allow the remaining Porsche Cayenne ATF to drain from the transmission pan into a suitable waste oil drain pan. Once the fluid has drained, reinstall the fluid level insert hand tight. Also reinstall the drain plug and sealing washer hand tight. This will minimize fluid spillage during pan removal and cleaning.
How To Step 6
Remove the transmission pan. This is held in place by 10mm hex head bolts. The Porsche Cayenne transmission pan mounting bolts on the front side of the pan might require a swivel head extension or socket to ease access. Begin by loosening all the transmission pan bolts. Once all the bolts are loose, remove all the bolts except two at opposite ends of the transmission pan. Lastly, remove the two bolts left while supporting the pan. In most cases there will be a small amount of Porsche Cayenne transmission fluid still in the pan. Lower the transmission pan and drain the remaining ATF into a suitable waste oil drain pan.
How To Step 7
Remove the old Porsche Cayenne transmission filter. This is held in place by four 10mm hex head bolts. Also confirm that the old transmission filter to valve body sealing O-ring is removed along with the filter.
How To Step 8
With a lint free rag clean the Porsche Cayenne transmission filter to valve body O-ring mating area.
How To Step 9
Install the new Porsche Cayenne transmission filter. Confirm the new transmission filter to valve body O-ring is installed on the new transmisison filter. Apply a small amount of Porsche Cayenne ATF to the new sealing O-ring to allow the O-ring to seat and mate properly to the valve body. The four 10mm hex head bolts for the transmission filter can be torqued to 7 ft lbs.
How To Step 10
Remove the old rubber transmission pan gasket from the transmission pan.
How To Step 11
Clean the transmission pan and transmission pan magnets of all dirty ATF and sediment. The magnets are in the transmission pan. Always note the transmission pan magnet locations and return them to the original location after they have been cleaned. This is best done with lint free rags, a parts washer, or brake cleaner.
How To Step 12
Clean the Porsche Cayenne transmission pan gasket mating surfaces on both the transmission side and the pan side. Make sure to remove all old gasket material and corrosive buildup. Be careful not to dirty any of the transmission internals and only use lint free rags.
How To Step 13
On a clean bench top insert the transmission pan gasket spacers into the gasket.
How To Step 14
Install the Porsche Cayenne transmission pan gasket onto the transmission pan, closely aligning the mounting holes.
How To Step 15
Reinstall the transmission pan and gasket onto the transmission. Align the transmission pan mounting holes and install the eleven 10mm mount bolts. First tighten the mounting bolts evenly to a hand tight torque. Next evenly tighten the transmission pan from one side of the transmission pan to the other, torqueing the bolts to 7 ft. Lbs.
How To Step 16
Confirm that the plastic transmission fluid level insert is installed back into the transmission pan. Leave the insert snug and do not over tighten as this is made of plastic.
How To Step 17
Hand tighten the fill adapter onto the Porsche Cayenne transmission pan fill / drain plug port. Once the fill adapter is installed, slide the fill hose onto the adapter.
See Related Items:
- Transmission Fluid Pump and Fill Adapter Tool (J91003-1 Cost Effective Version)
- Transmission Fluid Pressure Filling Transfer Tank and Adapter Tool (T2A0152 and T2A0108)
How To Step 18
Begin filling the transmission with the Porsche Cayenne transmission fluid.
Adapt the fill hose from the pump to the transmission adapter. Allow around 6 - 7 liters of ATF to be pumped into the transmission. As fluid is being fed into the transmission start the vehicle. With the brakes applied, shift/select through all the gears of the transmission while the engine is idling. Allow 5 seconds for each gear selection. This will allow some of the air trapped in the transmission to escape. While the engine is in park and idling, continue to feed the remaining 2 liters of ATF into the transmission. With the engine still at idle remove the fill adapter and install the drain plug snog enough to stop it from leaking.
How To Step 19
With the engine at idle the Porsche Cayenne transmission fluid level will need to be measured at a desired operating temperature. Plug the Ross-Tech diagnostic software into the OBD2 port and begin to monitor the transmission fluid temperature.
Using the Ross-Tech diagnostic software access the transmission control module as follows:
- (1st) Select Control Module
- (2nd) 02-Auto Trans Control Module
- (3rd) Measuring Blocks – 08
- (4th) Group 006
Displaying group 006 in field 1 will allow for an accurate ATF temperature reading.
Important Note: Some have chosen to use a cost-effective infrared thermometer instead of specialty diagnostic software to read the transmission temperature. An infrared thermometer will allow for a general internal transmission fluid temperature. Generally, within a few degrees of accuracy.
How To Step 20
With the vehicle level and the engine at idle, allow the Porsche Cayenne transmission fluid and transmission temperature to warm between 35°C - 45C° (95°F - 113°F). At this temperature range, a little transmission fluid should begin to flow out from the fill port level insert. When this happens, the proper ATF level has been achieved and re-insert the transmission drain plug and sealing washer. If an excessive amount of fluid is draining from the transmission this is ok. Allow the excess ATF to drain from the fill port until a small amount of fluid is flowing or dripping from the fill port.
Do not allow the transmission temperature to exceed 45C° (113°F). If the transmission temperature exceeds 45C° (113°F) the fluid has expanded to much and will not allow for an accurate level reading. Confirm the transmission fluid drain plug and sealing washer are installed, turn the engine off and allow the transmission to cool to below 30°C. Begin the worm up leveling procedure again once the transmission temperature is below 30°C.
Porsche Cayenne Transmission Fluid Capacity:
- Service fill of 6 - 8 liters (Transmission pan removal and filter change. Depending on transmission temperature.)
- Initial dry fill of 12 liters (No transmission fluid in the torque converter, transmission cooler lines or transmission cooler.)
- We supply 9 liters of Porsche Cayenne ATF to ensure all customer have an adequate amount of ATF on hand while servicing their transmission. Typically draining the transmission fluid, lowering the transmission pan, and replace the transmission filter will allow around 6-7 liters to drain from the transmission. The remaining 6 liters are in the torque converter, transmission cooler lines, and transmission cooler. Some customers allow a longer duration (siting overnight) to pass while changing the transmission filter and ATF. At times this allows another 1 liter or so to drain from random internal areas of the transmission. Others choose to drain the ATF during excessive transmission temperatures, loosen transmission cooler lines to remove more ATF from the transmission cooler related areas, and other alternative techniques. Our kit contains 9 liters of ATF for all average ATF fluid and filter change situations. This provides most customers an adequate amount of ATF while filling and fluid level checking the transmission.
- If you desire a more thorough Porsche Cayenne ATF flush, we recommend driving the vehicle for 5-10 minutes and then performing a 2nd ATF drain, fill, and ATF leveling procedure with another 6 liters of ATF. This should allow the majority of harshly contaminated ATF to be removed from the transmission.
How To Step 21
Once you have confirmed the correct Porsche Cayenne ATF fluid level reinstall the transmission drain plug and sealing washer. Torque the 5mm hex bit allen drain plug to 12 ft. Lbs.
How To Step 22
Reinstall the under engine protective splash pan mounting bracket. This is held in place by three 10 bolts. The mounting bracket is a two-piece unit to allow for easy removal. Torque the three mounting bolts to 7 ft lbs.
How To Step 23
After confirming you don’t have any transmission leaks reinstall the under engine protective splash pan. First, line up and mount the front side of the splash pan leaving the rear mounting hardware off. Install the rear section of the slash pan by mounting the rear of it first and then lastly tipping up both splash pan pieces to the center, installing the mounting hardware. (T-25 torx bit screws and 10mm hex head mounting bolts.)
How To Step 24
If you did lift the vehicle with an approved automotive hoist or floor jack and jack stands you can lower the vehicle as highlighted and referenced in your factory owner’s manual. Confirm the correct vehicle lift point locations and procedures as highlighted in your factory owner's manual.
How To Step 25
Dispose of your old Porsche Cayenne ATF responsibly by taking it to a certified recycling collection center.
Note in your records the current mileage at time of ATF change, as well as, when you might want to change it next. We also recommend keeping detailed service records to keep track of your vehicles true condition. Keeping good vehicle maintenance records can also help improve your vehicle resale value.